- 1/2 kg mix chopped beef & pork
- 2 sausage links (skin removed)
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices bread soaked in half cup milk (squeeze out milk and tear bread)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of ricotta
- 1/2 medium ONION - grated on your box grater
- 1 tablespoon salted capers - soaked to remove salt and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 cup grated parmesan (not packed down)
- 1 teaspoon dried origano
- Salt & pepper to taste
Put all in a large bowl & mix lightly, taste for salt. Makes about 18 golfball sized pieces. I cooked 9 balls at time in our air fryer. But you can bake or fry. Cook to almost done...
Meanwhile - make a red sauce:
Sauté 1/2 diced onion (the other half) & minced garlic (to your liking). Add two cans of crushed tomatoes and half can of wine. Let reduce some, add the meatballs. Turn the balls over after about ten minutes and cook another 10 minutes.
Serve while still hot over a slice of toasted bread and topped with a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf. Otherwise, of course, over spaghetti.