- 1 shallot - diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I use frozen white caps & defrosted in microwave. Save their liquid)
- 4 table spoons bread crumbs
- 1 slice of ham - prosciutto or boiled ham
- a few salted capers - rinsed (optional)
- dry white wine - a few table spoons
- olive oil
- flour for dredging
Have a fish monger fillet a medium sized trout.... Salt & pepper both pieces and set aside.
In a small pan add shallot & capers to 2 or 3 table spoons olive oil - cook until translucent then add mushrooms and cook until are lightly golden, add wine - reduce then add bread crumbs and liquid from mushrooms..... reduce to a paste. Let cool. Lay slice of ham on the inside of a fillet, spoon the stuffing on and close. It'll stick together. Dredge both sides in flour. Fry in hot olive oil - you shouldn't need too much oil but you do want the skin crunchy. Made this weekend inspired by a Spanish recipe from La Mancha. I used sea bass.